Contursi Terme (SA)
The origins of Contursi Terme have been discussed at length by various historians. More than anyone, on the authority of Pliny the Elder held that Contursi could identify with Ursentum, that is the seat of Ursentini, which, together with other peoples was the nation of Lucani. But this hypothesis was refuted by Pliny. The Filomarino, based on historical Strafforello and Rivelli, and in particular the latter’s etymological research, traces the origins of Contursi in the late fourth century AD, by the inhabitants of Saginara, town disappeared, once in the resort of the same name Campaign and Contursi, located on the ground in front of the confluence of the Tanagro with Sele and destroyed by the Goths under Alaric between 395 and 400 AD  In the fourteenth century it belonged to the Contursi Sanseverino, barons of Cilento, until, in the year 1348 Louis II of Anjou Durazzo, expropriated it to him, giving it to Origlia. The village came to the powerful Sanseverino Antonio in 1448, remaining to the house until the beginning of the viceroyalty. Then the noble Neapolitan Giovanni Sebastiano Rizzo became Baron of Contursi and Postiglione (Assent of 1507 [unclear]). From these passed to his son Michael, in which Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor took off all feudal estates, as a punishment of his rebellion during the conquest of the Kingdom under Odet de Foix, Comte de Lautrec and Comminges. Contursi and Postiglione passed to Count Girolamo Morone, until the rehabilitation of Rizzo (1529). The only daughter married a sopravvissutagli Caracciolo branch of Martina, who passed the post mortem feud. Contursi then passed from hand to hand for sales feudal by Bernalli to Pepe, the Ludovisi and the Parisani Bonanno, until the Pisans of Tolentino, the Marquis of Caggiano. From 1811 to 1860 it was the capital of the homonymous district, the District of Campaign of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. From 1860 to 1927, during the Kingdom of Italy was the eponymous capital belonging to the commandment of Environment Campaign.
Monuments and places of interest
The old town center of the spa town still preserves one of its ancient entrances. At the height of a staircase from which it takes its name, the port called the “Scale longa” is one of the most picturesque of the small village. Leant on an architectural structure of the tower, is the connecting element between the area of the church of the Carmine and the lower part of town. Traces of the ancient residence of the lords of the place can be seen in the palace facade Mirra. With its important portal that opens onto walls still strong.
Architectures of worship
- Baby Jesus was initially built for the devotion of Saint John and Saint Lucia. In 1600, after extensive renovations, the archpriest Paradise consecrated the Church of the Infant Jesus, after arriving from Naples a statue that depicted, invoice valuable, both in anatomical proportions for the robes embroidered with wire ‘gold. Inside are statues of St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception and St. Mary of Sorrows. Of exquisite workmanship also the magnificent organ century carved.
- Santa Maria delle Grazie originally smaller, it was later enlarged. In 1656, on the inside, was built an altar dedicated to St. Philomena Martyr, in thanksgiving for his many miracles occurred, according to tradition, during the days of the plague.
- Santa Maria degli Angeli extremely difficult to identify the date of construction of the church, but of course it is older all’840. In a bubble Archbishop Grateful dated August 14, 1486, written on the introduction to the ancient bound is made clear: the Church of Contursi first under the name of St. Then with the addition of Maria Santa Maria Maggiore and finally S. Maria degli Angeli. With time it became the point of reference and soon had to take over the leadership of the churches in the country. In the centuries has undergone many renovations.
Infant Jesus Church.
- ‘Maria S.S. Carmine was probably built on an old church dedicated to the patron, the Bishop San Donato, dienuta monastery of the Carmelite Fathers abolished then in 1652 with the papal bull. On 16 October 1873, the Municipality of Contursi entrusted to the clergy all the assets of the church, with the obligation to keep all the sacred vessels (Photos Church Madonna del Carmine).
- Saint Sophia was built in 1338 originally dedicated to the saint, in the first days of June, the destination of hundreds of faithful who go for the “Tredicina” a tradition linked to the cult of St. Anthony.
- San Vito consecrated to the cult of St. Vitus February 12, 1714, was built on an open space outside the town to promote the rite of an ancient cult of the shepherds, linked to the devotion of San Vito: after Mass, the faithful make three turns around the Chapel expressing a wish. Custom that goes back to the “shift” that the shepherds were with the flock around the church, the animal entered it became the property of the saint.
- Madonna of Scalella in honor of the ancient reverence of Santa Maria della Scala, situated on the outskirts of the old town.
- San Donato made with royal consent of Ferdinand IV of Bourbon on April 27, 1816, is located in a local church of Santa Maria degli Angeli.
- S. Antonio the Bridge on the right bank of the river Sele in loc. Mefita bridge, the plaque outside contains the following dedication: “To St. Anthony of Padua in 1879, this chapel is consecrated to the devotion of the people and Onofrio Parisi initiator vision sometimes having received his son Francesco P. mindful June 13, 1895 “. Even today, June 13 is carried in procession the statue of the saint from the town center along a very characteristic called the “ghiai” while ancient chants rise in the air with the sound of bagpipes.
- Arnone Palace built in the fifteenth century limestone which was purchased by the city in the second half of the nineteenth century.
- Villa Secentesca Pagnani belonged to the family.
- Purple Palace where the original wooden structure of the door is still visible.
- Villa Marolda his fame is due to the fact that in 1937 received the Prince Umberto of Savoy, inside, the building is full of arches, columns and features on the stairs above the first floor you can see the structure of the vaulted ceiling to cover the rooms, which recalls the baroque style.
- Taglianetti Palace and Palazzo Venditti it hosted from time to time, the city hall, the school, the institute Technical Sales.
- Rosapepe castle was built in the year 839 by Count Orso to defend themselves from constant incursions of the Normans, in a position that dominates the central square of the village. In 1675 it became the property of the family Parisano who kept it until 1807 until it became the property of the family Rosapepe.
War Memorial was built after the First World War to the memory of the many contursani died for their country.